Tumbling Pots


I have seen these tumbling pots in magazines and blogs from time to time, the latest being in KeeWees garden, having got a number of terracotta pots from one of my daughters who was clearing out her shed I decided to give it a go!They look stunning when the flowers have settled in, I had toyed with the idea of putting in strawberry plants which would also look great but having grandchildren around I don't think I would have a lot of strawberries from it!

You need terracotta pots with one central drainage hole and in different sizes. First I had to go to B&Q to get the metal rod to support the pots, I also got the pansies there. Place the pot where you intend to leave it permanently as it cannot be moved easily once completed.Place the rod through the drainage hole and fill the pot with compost, it is easier to fill each pot as you go and firm down well.

Slide the second pot onto the rod through the hole, this one will rest partly on the compost as well.Slide the remainder of the pots on in the same way, filling each with compost as you go which helps to stabilize the tower, each pot balances on the rim of the previous one, fill with plants of your choice and there you have a nice focal point when the plants settle in and spread out.I had thought of trailing plants but I think the effect of the tumbling pots would be hidden under them.

I also refilled this pot, it has had a half dead tree in it for the past two years! One of my daughters is getting married in August so the garden is getting a much needed tidy up as it was neglected last year in favour of the allotment.I emptied out the old compost into the garden and refilled, the main flower is Sinnetti,I thought it was a cape daisy until I read the label.The name of the 2 smaller ones escape me now but they should grow over and down the side of the pot. I don't buy plants by name I buy if I like the colour and shape.


More donated pots! The top terracotta pot is long and tapering so I set it into the bigger tub and filled in the compost around it to secure it. I have put my spider plant outside in the mini greenhouse to harden off and that is going in the top pot, I will fill in around it then with annuals to give a cascading effect. I have always had spider plants as indoor greenery but I have seen them grown outside lately and in a sheltered spot they look great, giving a touch of a tropical look!

Comments

Unknown said…
I live the tumbling pots idea! I might give this a go!

http://ryans-garden.blogspot.com/

Ryan
Unknown said…
Heck yes! Wonderful Ideas here, thanks!!
Anonymous said…
this looks great! i have seen it before but now that you have given step by step instructions i cant wait to try it! i have the senetti plant as well at the moment its lovely lots of flowers though slugs love it! the little plants you have look like bacopa plants they are great for baskets too as they grow and grow.
kathleen
Latane Barton said…
I think I am going to have to try those stacked pots.
Oh I love these tumbling pots Peggy ! They are just lovely - what a great idea :)
Peggy your tumbling pots look great. You are smarter than I am , you wrote instructions on how it is done.I think when I did my post I had tunnel vision, I was concentrating on getting the whole post done *grin*
I am working on a plan for another creation, but it will be in the future.
Jennifer
Peggy said…
The pots are easy to make and give great job satisfaction! I look forward to seeing all of your photos and what you put in to them.
Kathleen, you are right Bacoba is the name of the small plant and I would pick another plant that the slugs like!
Anonymous said…
I really like the tumbling pots, Peggy. I have some scattered around. I think I will try it too!
I am thinking Petunias will grow good in mine.
We are having a good rain right now or I'd be out looking for my flower pots.
Have a good day.
pam
Maureen said…
Hi Peggy, it's been ages since I took a look at your blog. Your allotment looks amazing, and like myself you have seeds growing everywhere. It's great to see the little plants emerge isn't it? I have never grown many flowers from seed until this year. I want to have a bed for cut flowers on the allotment as well as all my veggies, so I have sown quite a lot of flowers seeds. The tumbling pots look good. :)
Tracy Bruring said…
Wow what kind of flower is the blue and white one? I bet you are excited about your daughters wedding coming up!!
Tattyanne said…
The tumbling pots look fab Peggy! Hmmm I wonder where mine are! One year I put a spider plant in one of my hanging baskets, the effect was quite good. Great blog! Tatty
Peggy said…
Pam, petunias look good in anything,have a go and see what you come up with.

Maureen good to see you again, tis the season for the seeds!

Sweethearts Mom, the blue flower is Senetti and the little ones are Bacoba.

Tattyanne, thanks for the spider update!
Anonymous said…
Those look great and I like that you reused some old pots. Very cool. I have two sitting on my front porch. Nothing in them just now. I did have Supertunias and assort annuals. I find that the top pots dry out easily and resorted to using different succulents in those. I have also fixed them at the nursery where I use to work. Everyone loves them.

Cindee at Cindee's garden had some of the best I've ever seen. She may still have them on her sidebar. She has themed ones.
http://cindeesgarden.blogspot.com/

I like you sister's too.
CiNdEe's GaRdEn said…
Hi Peggy,
Did you know there is also a hanging version of the tipsy pots? I don't have one but they are around. It is an awesome idea too. I keep thinking I will make one up. All you need is a hanging rod to hang the pots on. I am glad you enjoyed my blog. I will be back again soon!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Faux Stone Trough

Instacrafting/ crafters and DIY

Runner bean soup and Dog Blog