Fruit Day on the Plot

Our sweetcorn, there are at least 2 large cobs on all the plants and 3 on most! The size in relation to my hand, don't look at the nails!Lots of heat and sunshine would be good to ripen them but today it is raining, hopefully moving away this evening
The sweetcorn bed which has 12 good plants and one which though growing has never caught up with the others.We had a visitor to the plots on Mon.who showed us how to check if they are ripe enough to pick by peeling back the leaves and 'popping' a seed with a nail, a milky white liquid shows they are ready but the one we tested was still quite clear.The tassels are turning brown which I thought showed they were ready to harvest.
Our experimental bed with dill, coriander and celeriac.I have been using the dill and the coriander is producing seeds. We tried to save the seeds last year but it was so wet they rotted .A word of mouth recipe for stuffed tomatoes with pureed courgette, breadcrumbs and some coriander green seeds.
Close up of the celeriac, I have scraped away the soil to show the bulbous root.I don't think they will grow to the size we see in the shops and an online search for info on when to harvest is in order.If they could be left in the ground to pull when needed would be ideal.
There were 3 rows of turnips here but we decided it would also be the ideal site for our 2 Goji berry bushes so 2 rows got transplanted , I left one row in situ 'just in case'.The Goji berry bushes are small so I don't think they will notice the turnips for a few months.
This was the garlic bed where 3 rows of swede turnips are now in residence.Brassicas follow alliums in the scheme of things?
Our wine bottle edging to the patio and our two artichokes which have 2 heads nearly ready to pick and about 6 more smaller ones.
Big boy is turning a blush!
I was coming home from the plot on tues, and spotted blackberries along the pathway. I stopped to pick a few into a small container which I had with me.I also picked some Japanese wineberries which are a relation to both the blackberry and the raspberry.They have gone wild on an untended plot and Zwena said to pick them instead of leaving them go to waste.They are delicious and from reading about them very easy to propagate and grow.Zwena said I could have a few of her cooking apples.
Finished jam, not a lot but I only had 300 grms of fruit not counting the apple.
There is also a plum tree on the same plot which has not produced plums of any quantity for years, this year the branches are laden down!I picked 1 kilo and found an excellent recipe on Cooks United.
1Kg of Plums,stoned and chopped
700 grms of sugar.
No Liquid
Leave to soak for 8 to 10 hours, I left mine overnight
Put the whole lot into a saucepan and cook for around 20 minutes,this gives a lovely soft set jam which is delicious!
I had the gingham and saw the jam pot cover idea over on Ann's blog

Something completely different, Aoife had this strange plant growing up through the netting, we thought it was something just gone to seed. It turned into this beautifull poppy flower!

Comments

PeggyR said…
Sounds like you are having a bumper crop of things! We've been enjoying the things we bought at the farm market last week.
Anonymous said…
Hi Peggy,
All of your produce looks so good.
Ours finished up long ago and Jack, Betsy, and the goats are enjoying eating the weeds and the left over stalks.

Just as soon as it cools down a little more I will be planting the fall greens.

Oh yeah... your fingernails look just like mine. I like them just like that, too!
Have a great day.
Pam
I always love to see what you are growing & how everything is doing -and am always amazed at the large variety of things that you grow. That's an interesting way of checking to see if sweetcorn is ready, I never knew that !
Jo said…
I've never heard of Goji berries. And I LOVE artichokes. HAve never grown them but a friend around the corner from me does and regularly sends me a dishful (cooked with garlic and olive oil, yum) I love seeing what is in your garden and love the jams. You are such an industrious lady. Have a wonderful day. Jo
Matron said…
Sorry, couldn't help it.. was drawn straight to your fingernails! I am very conscious of mine too, but it just proves to other gardeners out there that you are the real McCoy!
Ann said…
Your corn and those beef tomatoes are huge Peggy, hope you get the sun you need to ripen things.

The gingham jar covers make the jame look special don't they - which it is of course! I had to buy some jars, no one seems to save them these days, since recycling, except one friend who is a hoarder thank goodness, and she gave me all her spares.
Peggy said…
PeggyR,thanks we are, I love browsing around farmer's markets too.

Pam,Your crops were way ahead of ours so they are bound to be finished now, all canned and preserved too I should think!

Lynda,we grow a large variety but not a large amount of any of them.I did'nt know either about checking until I was shown how, not that we have had anything worth checking in previous years!

Jo, Goji berries are one of the 'new' super fruits, I don't know a lot abot them either until I do some checking.I love artichokes ,much like asparagus here they have a short season if you want to eat them in season and not imported ones.

Matron, thanks for the commiserations!

Ann, I have become the recycle bin for everyones jars! We always have lots of them under the table in the tea room on the allotments, I don't know hwo brings them in but they are apppreciated.Thanks again for the jam cover idea!
Matron said…
Now I've visited your plot, I can recognize your allotment! Tell me, what was written on the back of the scarecrow? It was in Gaelic and I couldn't read it!
cheryl said…
looks like things are going well on your plot! I am planning to walk along the lanes tomorrow and pick blackberries. I want to make a crumble for desert tomorrow, and also to make some bramble jelly.
Peggy said…
Matron, one of the girls wrote Die, birds Die in unjoined writing, or scribble would be more like it!I had to lok closely myself to make out what it said.

Cheryl, nothing more relaxing than out picking blackberries on a sunny day and the smell of them cooking in the kitchen later!
sweetcorn's been really disappointing here the last couple of years so I decided not to sow any this year. I also reasoned I needed the space back in May but of course have loads free now. Never mind, yours is thriving.
And the slugs here took a great fancy to my turnip seeds so no sign of mine.
Have fun foraging and jamming :o)

Popular posts from this blog

Faux Stone Trough

Instacrafting/ crafters and DIY

Runner bean soup and Dog Blog