Saving some Summer Goodness

 I don't grow Beetroot anymore as I no longer have the space to do so but, I would buy fresh at a Farmer's Market or where I know its local and organic.
Saturday was one of those days I saw a bunch of Beetroot and decided I would pickle some.
We are currently having a heatwave with near drought conditions and water rationing, YES, in Ireland!
 Vegetables are in short supply and may even get scarce unless we get rain. Potatoes have failed in some places due to lack of rain at a very crucial period in their growth.
Anyway, back to my Beetroot. I have been doing a very short term pickle recently, just roasting the beets, slicing them into jars, pouring in red wine vinegar, and keep in the fridge for a week or two.
 This time, to make store cupboard pickle I Googled for a simple ,quick recipe which I found. I think its from a Blog so if anyone reading this thinks it looks familiar or knows the Blogger please credit in the comments and I will add as I screenshot it and now cannot find the source.I roasted the beets wrapped securely in tinfoil, in a roasting dish with water,took about an hour


Next, wash and heat the jars, I just  put them in the oven at a very low temp, guessing I will have enough in 6
The recipe, I just used the Preserving Liquid and method, simples!!


















Added benefit.... it smells like Christmas, reminds me of Mulled Wine




The filled jars, I sliced and divided the beets between the jars and topped up with the still hot liquid ( just slightly cooled). The lids should pop after a few minutes so you know the jars have sealed properly and will keep.
If any lid does not pop then use those jars first.








The finished jars labelled and dated,  just in case I decide to do some more at a later stage. if you were doing these as gifts or to sell then a nice decorative cover would look good.

On a footnote, I have not Blogged for a number of years and am finding Blogger a bit complicated  for uploading photos etc, its taken me all of 2 hours to do this much

Comments

Unknown said…
Oooooooooh I can’t wait to get a delivery of some glorious pickled beetroot! *rubs hands with glee*
CiNdEe's GaRdEn said…
My son in law would love that. What a wonderful job you did in the heat of summer. I love making jelly, but didn't get any done yet this year.
I'm sorry the heat wave has hit there. It has been hot here as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Faux Stone Trough

Instacrafting/ crafters and DIY

Runner bean soup and Dog Blog