First Day of Spring on the Plot

The first day of Spring really did feel like Spring!There was some frost during the night but the morning/day was sunny and mild. It was also the first day of the new season on the allotments so I went out to take stock after the long cold winter.The turnips took me by surprise as there was not a vestige of green foliage left!They look OK otherwise, behind them are the skeletal stalks of the Brussels sprouts,stripped bare by the pigeons no doubt!
The leeks survived the extreme frost apart from some damage to the outer leaves. I took some home with me after taking the photo, a couple went to D.Aisling and I added a couple to a pot of leek and potato soup.
Rhubarb poking through the mulch, 2 of the plants had new growth visible but I covered them over once I had taken the photo as frost could do damage to this tender growth now as we are not out of the woods where frost is concerned yet.
The day was so nice I persuaded myself to get stuck in with some digging. I was surprised the ground was in such good nick after the snow and frost, it was quite easy to turn over. These are the beds as they have been for years running from side to side of the plot.
I dug a section down the side, changing the orientation of the beds to top to bottom. The leeks will be out by the time the seed potatoes are chitted and this whole area will be set with different varieties of first early potatoes.
Again we are sticking to first earlies as last year. We don't have the space for main crop and not only are they susceptible to blight but need space for storage through the winter too. New season potatoes are more expensive and the taste of the first earlies just dug from the garden is hard to beat!
Hard to see in this photo but our 2 Goji berry bushes are budding in their space next to the shed.

New birds!Zwena got hens on the allotments last year and today showed me her latest acquisition, ducks and geese!They are in a walled in garden with their own water feature so are very privileged birds!
There are ganders and geese, turkey cocks and hens all milling around wanting to be fed.They add a new dimension to the whole allotment area and the children I know will be fascinated with them.

Comments

Becca's Dirt said…
I'm ready for spring here in the south US. Your place is looking pretty in the sunlight. Have a good day.
Anonymous said…
Leek and potato soup sounds real good...can't beat new potatoes for taste...as I told Matron I enjoy rhubarb pie (might have to make a rhubarb pie this year, it was Don's favorite)...you did some good work there on your allotment...the way the birds picked your sprout stalks bare, that's what chicken will do...the geese and ducks are beautiful...we had geese once, 2 of which I incubated because the female wouldn't set...I know you're happy to get back to work in your garden even if it's just for a bit!
Betty said…
I can't wait to get out in my garden and work. Right now just waiting for my seeds to arrive so I can start them inside.

Willow
Linda said…
Spring has definitely come for you. And soil in good enough nick to dig! I'm envious.
Kelli said…
There's always quite a bit of work to do come Spring. Your beds look fairly weed free and have a rich colour. The walled garden sounds exciting. Do you put your potatoes in on St Patricks like the Irish?
Ann said…
Love your new header picture. It's nice to be about to get back out there isn't it. Not long before things start to be put into the ground again.
Yay hooray! Fantastic Peggy! What a beautiful space.
I love Spring, my favourite month, although I'm looking forward to Autumn...it's been so hot over here. Love your new header too!
Kate said…
Hi Peggy, I am so enjoying reading about the allotment, from down here at the southern end of Tasmania, Australia. My grandfather came to Australia from Ireland but I never met him. One day I would like to visit.
Happy gardening,
Kate
Jo said…
Hi Peggy, you are so concientious with your allotment. Glad to see much of it survived the frost. I'm missing out on my green peppers, basil, gem squash, tomatoes, egg-plant and spinach back home. Emily (my houselady) is making tomato, green pepper, basil and onion (cooked up, we call it casserole) and freezing it. The spinach, gems and other pumpkins she is eating. There's a wonderful market here in the valley so no lack of fresh organic produce. Yes, when I lost my weight in 1999, I changed from blonde to red for the next eight years! Everyone that doesn't have a weight problem tells me in the "middle years" they picked up. Exercise is best! Bless you my friend. Jo

Popular posts from this blog

Faux Stone Trough

Instacrafting/ crafters and DIY

Runner bean soup and Dog Blog