Sunday, September 26, 2010
I went out to the allotment yesterday for my first visit in over a week, Kathryn had been up a few times to keep things in order and continue harvesting.I noticed a clump of large leaves and decided to pull a parsnip.
Pulling made no impact so I loosened some of the surrounding earth with my fingers, thought this is more like a turnip size than a parsnip and got a small hand trowel. This proved as useless but I did see that this was no ordinary parsnip!
The large digging fork was brought into loosen more earth and finally the spade, by this time I had a fairly large hole excavated but there was no move from the parsnip!Short of bringing in a mechanical digger and disturbing the remainder of the plants,I pulled and tugged and eventually it broke off leaving I would think a fairly sizable chunk in the hole. The parsnip won the tussle as I ended up on my bum on the ground.
I did take some photos of the parsnip in the hole but I must have inadvertently moved the settings on my camera and they were very over exposed.
I weighed the monster minus the leaves and it is 4 1/2 lbs weight!it remains to be seen if it is edible.
The only good photo in the camera since yesterday is of the entrance to our allotments,nasturtiums cascading over a plot.
I cleared all of the sweetcorn, another 12 cobs which makes nearly 30 in all so it was one of the success stories this year.
I had about 6 more quite large strawberries eaten in situ.
More tomatoes were ripe,there was about 4 lbs and there are still some on the vines. I did clear the grow bag of 3 plants and will put in some winter salad instead rather than discarding it completely.
Carrots and a few normal sized parsnips, plus some cooking apples from Zwena and I had a nice haul coming home!
I finally put the Goji Berry bushes in place beside the shed and did some other general clearing and tidying for the winter.