When we took over the second plot last year the area behind the greenhouse was completely overgrown with thistles and teasles and brambles.We cleared it and discovered this old cold frame lurking underneath
We filled the cold frame with compost and grew courgettes and tried a mushroom experiment which came to nothing as we found out that to grow mushrooms from seed temperatures are crucial.
This is the same area today! I went out to the plot at 12 and did not come home until nearly 6.I also had to call in reinforcements from time to time. Kathryn and David came up to break up the cold frame and take the pieces up to the compost heap.Gemma kept me company for most of the afternoon making tea and taking wheelbarrow loads up to the compost heap for me.
I recycled the back part of the cold frame, I dug a trench down inside the wire sinking the timber to hopefully stop weeds etc growing through from the pathway at the back. I kept digging down the length of the bed which is about 20 feet as it is the full width of the plot.The end of the bed was the hardest as it had not been dug ever I think. There was carpet underlay buried and roots like ropes underneath which took some tugging to get out.Couch grass roots were plentiful and back breaking to keep bending down to pull them out.I went back to the compost heap and recycled some more of the old timber to frame the bed.
This is a completely new bed and is earmarked for potatoes this year.We are down to the wire with both plots now, it has taken some time but all of the hard digging is now finished!
I was alone for most of the day ,other plotters came and went but I decided to stick with it as it was a lovely sunny afternoon with just one quick hail shower to contend with.