Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Our new plot! A bit daunting looking at it now,most of it was dug last year but has gotten a bit overgrown through the year. We were thinking of covering it with manure and black plastic and leaving it for a few months to plant next year, but then thought if we get it rotavated and manured in time we could sow potatoes in it for this year and dig out beds as we are lifting the potatoes.Time is crucial now as the seed potatoes will have to be in around April.
Our allotments are about a mile up a private roadway and not many people are aware of it, I could not believe my eyes when I saw this rubbish scattered around about halfway up the road in one of the fields.One of the drawbacks of being near urban sprawl. Zwena is on a mission to catch the culprit.
This is the end bed which was covered with manure,compost, cardboard and black plastic over the winter.I emptied the compost from one of the carrot barrels over some of it. The white fleece at the end is covering 6 volunteer potatoes I found when digging up the bed they were in last year.The potatoes I have chitting in the shed have not produced anything as yet but these ones left in the ground were after sprouting and have shoots of 5 or 6 ins.I decided to try them out and put them in to this bed through the plastic and covered them with the fleece to protect them.We will wait and see what develops!
Our rhubarb is coming on in leaps and bounds! I had put a pot over it earlier in the year but then read that the crowns should be about 3 years old to do this.I took off the pot and mulched it up with manure to protect it from the frost and snow. So far it seems to be working.
Posted by Peggy at Tuesday, February 24, 2009