Friday, October 10, 2008

Apple & Tomato Chutney


We are having a 'Pickle day' on the allotment at the end of Oct. Chris is organising it. It is going to be a swop day for produce and/or advice. I have to admit I have never pickled anything before and can only remember tasting a glutinous brown goo once and have never tried it again! I thought I should try something for the pickle day and so what I brought home from the allotment the other day was sitting there and I thought what the hell....! Chris had left me a recipe ( pinned up in the greenhouse) for beetroot pickle but Angela had tried tomato chutney using the red and green tomatoes. i went online and found a simple recipe on www.sausagelinks.co.uk ( lots of lovely easy recipes) The one I used is:
1kg Cooking apples,peeled and cored
1kg Tomatoes (red or green or a mix)
I also added the small green peppers I had
500ml vinegar
500g onions
250 grm dried fruit
500grm soft brown sugar
half teaspoon: cayenne pepper, mustard powder, ground ginger or other spices
Or you can cheat and use a pickling bag of mixed spices (bought)
Finely chop apple, tomato and onion, can be done in a food processor, use half of the vinegar and put everything in a large saucepan.
Simmer uncovered for 2 hours adding remains of vinegar as it cooks.
The chutney is done when a spoon drawn across leaves a clear trail with no traces of liquid.
Pour in to hot clean jars and store in a cool dark place for at least 1 month before eating.
This made 6 jars, it smelled devine ,looked nice as I had left some chunky bits instead of processing all of the ingredients, it did taste Ok too. I gave son in law Rob a jar to try when ready so if he suffers no ill effects..... Now to try the beetroot pickle

8 comments:

woodFX.co.uk said...

Hi, Just like to say what fantastic pictures you have taken, well done.
The information is very handy to, thanks
Joiner Sheffield

Peggy said...

Hi,woodfx,Thanks for leaving a comment, I paid your site a visit out of curiosity! Good place for tips and ideas on woodwork and easily navigated too.Is gardening a hobby to get away from the drilling and sawing!

W. Latane Barton said...

Sounds yummy, Peggy. I am anxious to hear about the swap day. That ought to be fun.
Latane

ga.farmwoman said...

Hi Peggy,
The Apple and Tomato chutney sounds delicious. I don't think I would have thought of the combination but I imagine the different flavors really blend well together.
I still have lots of pears, I wonder...if pear/tomato chutney would be good??
Have a great weekend.
Pam

The Tile Lady said...

Oh, Peggy, how exciting! Your first pickles! I bet they are delicious! I made my first years ago when we were living in Arizona (and haven't made much since, I hate to say!) out of prickly pear cactus fruits. It was a chutney recipe and had other things added with the chopped prickly pear fruits, but I can't remember the recipe. It turned out SO GOOD and I was really proud of it! The down side was that the tiny little cactus spikes ended up all over the house!!!! They were hair-thin and very sharp. They were in the carpet and well, just everywhere, for months after! I tried to figure out how on earth people ate the prickly pears and dealt with the spikes....could they have a blow torch taken to them to burn the spikes off, before they were ever picked, for instance....but I never found out. It was quite an experience! Good luck with the beets--thank goodness they have smooth skins! :-)

W. Latane Barton said...

Peggy, You are a favorite of mine so I tagged you. Go to my blog and pick up your tag. Latane

Peggy said...

Hi everyone, I have not been online for a few days so thanks for visiting and leaving comments in my absence.
Pam, I googled pear chutney and you will be spoiled for choice!Spicy pears seems to crop up a lot like pears and ginger, but pear and tomato...?
Tile lady, thanks for the laugh, your post is so funny, it conjures up some strange mental pictures.
Latane, thank and I am on my way over!
Peggy

Lynda said...

I love the idea of a Pickle Day & swapping items with each other. I must admit that I, too, have always been wary of making pickles/preserves incase they go off or flop ! Mmmm ... now let me see, if I were to attend your pickle day, what would I bring to swap with everyone ? Ahhhh ... I know .... some jars of traditional curried African beans :)