The produce is slowing a little as we head in to Autumn.The end of the carrots from the barrels, these are from the first barrel which stayed small as they dried out first from lack of water and then this particular barrel got waterlogged! They have a growth of fine white 'strings' on them but when this is scrubbed off they taste fine. 4 Tomatoes, about 260 grms of broccoli (calabrese), these are the side shoots after giving the plants a liquid feed after the main head was cut. Lots of beetroot as I pulled some to give the brussels sprouts room to grow.Anyone with ideas on how to pickle beetroot please tell us!
The one cauliflower grew in to this strange shape? There are 2 more tiny golfball heads coming on, I just cut the top off of this one and added it to the compost heap.
The brussels sprouts are forming well, this is the biggest of 5 plants. Again we planted them too close together, I have never actually seen brussels sprouts growing on the plant until now!
These are the rows of parsnips and beetroot after being weeded. I also thinned out the beetroot and ..no I do not do 'before' photos! I cleaned up around the sprouts and removed all the yellowing leaves and also any that were too near the ground, why provide a spring board for the slugs and snails.One plant had about 10 caterpillers and small snails which I picked off and blasted the leaves with the hose.
At the end of the row you can see the Brussels sprouts in their new high rise netting, as they were too confined in the previous one. I had to pull one or two of the parsnips from beside the sprouts and they are about 14 ins long but finger thick!